AxiDraw V3 Personal Writing & Drawing Robot
- Product ID: 6692
- MPN: RB-Ems-02
- Simple, modern, precise, and versatile pen plotter
- Can write with your favorite fountain pens, permanent markers, and other writing implements
- Features a new, highly repairable, field-serviceable design for a long life
- Allows you to use your computer to produce writing that appears to be handmade
The AxiDraw V3 Personal Writing & Drawing Robot is a simple, modern, precise, and versatile pen plotter, capable of writing or drawing on almost any flat surface. It can write with your favorite fountain pens, permanent markers, and other writing implements to handle an endless variety of applications. Its unique design features a writing head that extends beyond the machine, making it possible to draw on objects bigger than the machine itself.
It is an all-new version of the AxiDraw, redesigned from the ground up for high performance. It features smooth rolling wheels on custom aluminum extrusions, specially designed for high stiffness and light weight. Its sturdy, rigid construction gives it finer quality output and in most applications allows it to operate at up to twice the speed of the previous AxiDraw.
It features a new, highly repairable, field-serviceable design for a long life. While no parts on AxiDraw require regular replacement, this new machine is built with a "screws not glue" design approach throughout, where essentially every part can be replaced by the end user if it should ever become necessary. The AxiDraw is an extremely versatile machine, designed to serve a wide variety of everyday and specialized drawing and writing needs. You can use it for almost any task that might normally be carried out with a handheld pen.
The XY travel (printable area) of the AxiDraw is just over US letter (8 1/2 × 11") and A4 (297 × 210 mm) paper sizes. It can work with any paper up to and including that size, including envelopes and note cards. The AxiDraw comes with a mounting easel (board with clips) that can be used for holding paper, cards, and envelopes of various sizes.
- Usable pen travel (inches): 11.81 × 8.58 inches (Just over US letter size)
- Usable pen travel (millimeters): 300 × 218 mm (Just over A4 size)
- Vertical pen travel: 0.7 inch (17 mm)
- Maximum XY travel speed, rapid: 11 inches (28 cm) per second.
- Native XY resolution: 2032 steps per inch (80 steps per mm)
- Reproducibility (XY): Typically better than 0.005 inches (0.1 mm) at low speeds.
- Major structural components are machined and/or folded aluminum.
- Holds pens and other drawing instruments up to 5/8" (16 mm) diameter.
- Overall dimensions: Approximately 21.5 × 16 × 4 inches (55 × 40.5 × 10 cm).
- Maximum height with cable guides: Approximately 8.5 inches (22 cm).
- Footprint: Approximately 17 × 3.5 inches (43 x 9) cm.
- Physical weight: 4.75 Lb (2.2 kg).
- Shipping (Dimensional) weight: 22 Lb (10 kg).
- Drive directly from within Inkscape, using the AxiDraw extension.
- Alternative drive software: RoboPaint
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux
- All software free to download and open source
- Internet access is required to download software.
- Note: programming is not required to use the AxiDraw.
- RESTful API available for full machine control, stand-alone or accessible by running RoboPaint in the background.
- Simplified "GET-only" API available as well, for use in programming environments (such as Scratch, Snap) that permit only retrieval of URLs.
- Direct EiBotBoard (EBB) command protocol available for use in any programming environment that supports communication with USB-based serial ports.
- Code that generates SVG files can also be used to (indirectly) control the machine.